My book is NOW available in Paperback
Addicted to Stress: A Woman's 7 Step Program to Reclaim Joy and Spontaneity in Life
My book Addicted to Stress (Publisher: Jossey-Bass - An imprint of John Wiley), has just been published in Paperback and is available at bookstores everywhere.
Stress will always land on your doorstep, but you donít have to constantly open the door. Itís time to build immunity to external pressures and cultivate an inner peace which does not depend on outside influences. Shed that endless to-do list. Leave the straight lines of your personality to enjoy the surprising detours life has waiting for you.
Affirmation of the Week
Do you know
who you arenít?
Weekly Wellness Radio Show
The Turn On your Inner Light Radio Show airs Tuesday evenings 7:00 to 7:30pm, on WGBB 1240AM in Long Island.
March 02, 2010 Show - Manisha Thakor, an MBA from Harvard Business School, a personal finance expert and co-author of Get Financially Naked: How to Talk Money with Your Honey. Learn how to deal with the financial realities of marriage.
Feb 23, 2010 Show - Melanie Billings-Yun, PhD, senior partner of Global Resolutions, a research director and lecturer at Harvardís Kennedy School of Government, teaches at the Master of International Management Program at Portland State University and author of Beyond Deal-making. Learn how to negotiate all your relationships, business and personal!
Click archives for directory of past shows.
Health Tips of the Week
- A common Chinese and Indian folk medicine, bitter melon extract, inhibits the growth of breast cancer cells according to the St. Louis Univ. Medical Center.
- The addition of rosemary extract to ground beef actually reduces cancer-causing agents that can form upon cooking according to a recent study in the Journal of Food Science.
- Researchers from the Univ. of Southern California have found that exposure to air pollution accelerates the thickening of artery walls that leads to cardiovascular disease.
- Aspirin has anti-cancer benefits particularly for breast and colon cancer. Discuss taking aspirin with your doctor as aspirin does have side effect of stomach and intestinal bleeding.
- Exposure to low levels of antibiotics increases mutations in E. coli and Staphylococcus bacteria hundreds of times more than normal, making the creation of drug-resistant strains more likely. So when taking antibiotics take the recommended dosage to leave no enemies behind.
- When you feel blue, you shun anything new. For example, a sick or sad child might cling to momís leg. But that same child Ė fed, rested and generally content Ė will happily run off to explore. Or: Because youíre in a good mood, you decide to check out the new restaurant across town. When youíre blue, you stay home and turn to your old comfort foods.
- The American Academy of Pediatrics wants foods like hot dogs to come with a warning label ó not because of their nutritional risks, but because they pose a choking hazard to babies and children. Mothers can redesign foods like hot dogs, grapes, or carrots by cutting them into tiny pieces.
- New research shows women who donít receive a clot-busting drug after a stroke fare worse than men who are not treated.
- Have faith! In patients diagnosed with clinical depression, belief in a concerned God can improve response to medical treatment, according to a paper in the Journal of Clinical Psychology.
Article of the Week
How to Stop Those Powerful Sugar Cravings
Getting off the sugar roller coaster is not just beneficial for your waistline. Without the stress of a sugar surge which is always accompanied by a fatiguing crash, you will experience greater inner peace and stability; also there will be a big boost to your immune system. But how do you quell the powerful cravings?
I am a recovered sugar addict who decapitated the icing off cakes and like a termite I tunneled through their creamy fillings leaving merely a hollow shell. Upon reflection I was filling an empty heart at the time. My mother was in the throes of Alzheimerís and I was burned out at work; my children, husband and dog were all lined up for me. Basically, I looked like a skinny person on the outside, but I was fat on the inside Ė this is known to be an unhealthy condition.
So, I went cold turkey. more