Affirmation of the Week
It might be time for plastic surgery.
Cut some of those credit cards in half.
Weekly Wellness Radio Show
The Turn On your Inner Light Radio Show airs Tuesday evenings 7:00 to 7:30pm, on WGBB 1240AM in Long Island.
March 03, 2009 Show - Maggie Jackson, “Balancing Acts” columnist for the Boston Globe and author of Distracted. If you multi-task, you need to listen to this interview. www.maggie-jackson.com
Feb 24, 2009 Show - James Rapson and Craig English. James, a marriage and family therapist and Craig, an award winning writer and actor, close friends and collaborators on their book: Anxious to Please: 7 Revolutionary Practices for the Chronically Nice. It’s time to please yourself.
Click archives for directory of past shows.
Health Tips of the Week
- Vitamin D improves muscle power and force in adolescent girls according to a new study.
- Move over, Vitamin C because Vitamin D is now the “new star” claimed to help prevent colds.
- New research at the University of Haifa studied sexual harassment in the public sector: Women sexually harassed at the workplace tend to leave the organization. The women quit out of a sense of weakness.
- Raising a child with a disability can cause more day-to-day stress and long-range health problems than parenting a child without disabilities, according to a new study that looked at a clinical measure of stress along with parents’ survey responses.
- Air pollution caused by traffic near the home affects asthma severity in children, resulting in repeated hospital encounters. Investigators suggest that early-life exposures to traffic pollutants may affect asthma severity and development.
- Students helping other students learn – peer tutoring- has been proven to boost academic achievement and social skills in students with and without disabilities.
- A new study found that when surgeons take part in a series of exercises before operating they performed better in surgery. The exercises were useful to surgeons beginning their day as well as fatigued from being on call. This was a simulated study. Next step is the operating room.
- As the flu season peaks, there is a partial mismatch in flu vaccines to what is actually going around.
- Even one drink a day increases the cancer risk in women. Men, stay tuned to the latest research about you.
Article of the Week
Movie Therapy for Recession Stress
This year’s Oscar contenders had a golden thread connecting their diverse themes, cultures and settings which lifted the audience out of a “dark knight”- HOPE. The message: a slumdog can rise from rags to riches to live with a soul mate; from whatever point of time you live your life, you can experience love and dignity; you can fail and lose many times and then when the timing is right, you give wings to your dreams; you can be flexible and change your dreams if they no longer work for you; everyone has the power to leave a lasting legacy; moreover, no one is above the truth. During the recession Hollywood is doing great offering inexpensive, quick and effective therapy.
Movies are traditionally a form of escapism providing an intermission for a negative mindset, a worry loop. Anonymously, without the stigma of seeing a shrink, you get to watch the main character wrestle with his or her problems, go through a dark tunnel of the mind and then see the light to emerge as a hero. more
Recently Released Book
Addicted to Stress: A Woman's 7 Step Program to Reclaim Joy and Spontaneity in Life
My newly released book Addicted to Stress (Publisher: Jossey-Bass - An imprint of John Wiley), is available at bookstores everywhere and for order online
- Introduces and explains the habit forming pressure principle of stress addiction and how to cure it, creating awareness of what to do when a woman develops repetitive destructive behaviors.
- Provides step-by-step program for self-empowerment, self-care, healthy narcissism, and renewing humor in a woman's relationships.
- Explains the powerful, researched based relationship between food, exercise, and mood.
- Develops indispensable strategies for accepting constructive conflicts with a spouse, partner, friend or colleague to get what she wants.
- Shows how to jump start sexual intimacy.
- Teaches specific techniques for reducing and eliminating stress.
- Tells inspiring and humorous story of successful recovery from stress addiction.