Affirmation of the Week
Don't judge each day
by the harvest you reap,
but by the seeds you plant
Weekly Wellness Radio Show
The Turn On your Inner Light Radio Show airs Tuesday evenings 7:00 to 7:30pm, on WGBB 1240AM in Long Island. Listeners outside the Long Island area can listen to the show live by going to WGBB Live. The shows are archived for your listening pleasure.
Guest of the Week - Byron Katie
On May 24, 2005 - best-selling author Byron Katie, I Need Your Love – Is That True? Will put you in charge of your personal happiness.
Health Tips of the Week
- A new study gives encouraging signs that a hormonal drug used to fight breast cancer might help prevent abnormal prostate growths from turning into cancers. Men who took low doses of the drug toremifene for a year cut their chances of developing prostate cancer roughly in half.
- Lifestyle changes can improve the outlook for people with cancer. Eating less fat and more fruits and vegetables will help manage and prevent re-occurrences of breast, colon and prostate cancer. New research suggests that an hour of daily exercise can fend off new tumors in people who survive cancer the first time around.
- Researchers have discovered what your mother knew all along: Breakfast is an important meal for children and adolescents. Breakfast improves mental function leading to improved school performance, attendance and weight management.
- Peanuts are an American staple, but many children and young adults are developing allergies to them. The slightest exposure to peanuts for those who are allergic, even opening a peanut bag nearby or kissing him or her after eating a peanut can be fatal. Since peanuts might be a hidden ingredient in many foods, it is necessary for highly allergic people to carry an EpiPen to prevent anaphylactic shock.
- A new study reveals that phony acupuncture works just as well as the real thing when it comes to alleviating headaches. In fact, just as well as medication, but without the side effects. This points to the powerful effect of the placebo demonstrating how believing is feeling better!
- The news keeps getting better and better about taking statins. New research shows that the popular cholesterol-lowering drugs called statins can cut a person's chance of developing breast, prostate, and lung tumors in half.
Article of the Week -
Safe Solutions for Harmful Inflammation
The latest medical research has revolutionized our understanding of the role of inflammation as the root cause of chronic pain and many diseases such as cancer, arthritis, heart disease, Alzheimer’s, allergies and many auto-immune diseases. It is as though a fiery war rages in the body. Unfortunately, anti-inflammatory drugs such as Vioxx and Celebrex, which often trigger many harmful side effects, force us to make painful choices.
Recent medical research has shown that inflammation can be caused or exacerbated by lifestyle and diet. That’s good news because we can make a few healthy changes to our lifestyle and diet with beneficial side effects!
Certain foods increase acidity in the body upsetting the PH balance in the digestive system causing inflammation and fueling pain:
Frank Mikulka's Fitness Tip Of The WeekIs My Child Using Steroids?
I’m a mother of a 17 year old boy who “lives” at the gym. He’s a good boy, but lately his body is changing and with all the talk about steroids, should I worry and what should I be looking for? I would appreciate any help.(Lois, Syosset)