Affirmation of the Week
Laughter is the shortest distance
between two people
Weekly Wellness Radio Show
The Turn On your Inner Light Radio Show airs Tuesday evenings 7:00 to 7:30pm, on WGBB 1240AM in Long Island. Listeners outside the Long Island area can listen to the show live by going to WGBB Live. The shows are archived for your listening pleasure.
Guest of the Week - Dr. Arthur Ciaramicoli
On June 14, 2005 - Dr. Arthur Ciaramicoli, a clinical psychologist, Instructor of Psychology at Harvard Medical School and author of Performance Addiction. Discover how remarkable it is to be an ordinary human being!
Health Tips of the Week
- Patients listening to music they enjoy during surgery need less anesthesia because they are less stressed.
- Swimming at the beach? Watch out for rip currents. To get out of the grip of a rip current, swim parallel to shore. When out of the current, swim toward shore.
- When you’re in love, it’s the dopamine talking. By the way dopamine is also involved in addiction.
- Most of us know that cranberry juice inhibits bacterial growth in the urinary tract. New research suggests that it also inhibits many stomach viruses from entering the blood stream. More research is being conducted and I will keep you posted.
- Dull, steady, unexciting jobs may make the heart beat in an unchanging, rapid rhythm -- which in turn could lead to heart disease. This is in contrast to a healthy heart beat which varies. Perhaps, heart disease can be prevented by changing workplace conditions.
- Skipping exercise for a week or two may cramp your mood, make you significantly more tense, tired, and less vigorous. If the weather is bad or you are unable to do a specific exercise routine, do something.
Article of the Week -
It’s Time to Wear Your Pink Tiara!
My daughter is turning sixteen and thoroughly enjoying every moment of this rite of passage. Celebrating her metamorphosis with ten girlfriends, she turns to me an hour before we have to leave for the restaurant and smiles demandingly, “I need a tiara and we have to get it now!” Thinking she wants some designer jewelry head gear, I say to her, “Who do you think you are, the Queen of England?” “Mom, it costs about $1.50 and you can get it at the party store.” “Oh well, in that case you can have two!” “And Mom, can you get some non-alcoholic champagne and some of those plastic fluted champagne glasses and serve it to my friends outside in the backyard?” At that moment I realize that my daughter knows how to create, direct, get what she needs and have fun doing it. I have a lot to learn from her.
As per her instructions, I greet her friends with bubbling non-alcoholic champagne and my daughter makes her appearance wearing her pink tiara laughing heartily as she greets me. I am wearing mine – remember I bought two!
Frank Mikulka's Fitness Tip Of The WeekWhat To Do About Leg Cramps
I spend 4 to 5 days weekly at the gym, just added a spin class and am enjoying this healthy lifestyle change. However, now the downside: lately, 2 to 3 times weekly I’ve been experiencing painful cramping in my legs. Am I overdoing it? (Joyce, Smithtown)