Affirmation of the Week
The more precise you are in using language,
the more will power you will have.
Weekly Wellness Radio Show
The Turn On your Inner Light Radio Show airs Tuesday evenings 7:00 to 7:30pm, on WGBB 1240AM in Long Island.
June 15, 2010 Show - Thomas Moore, a psychotherapist, best-selling author of numerous books and author of the Care of the Soul in Medicine. This is a must read for those who want to partner their healing.
June 08, 2010 Show - Susan Kaiser Greenland, is the founder of the inner Kids program affiliated with the Mindful Awareness Research Center at UCLA and author of The Mindful Child. Learn how to guide children to manage their stress and improve focus.
Click archives for directory of past shows.
Health Tips of the Week
- Strength training improves cognitive function.
- A new study highlights that walking the dog is a great exercise motivator.
- More than 50% of US adults consume 85- 400 extra calories on weekends and even more on holidays. Donít enjoy yourself too much!
- The erectile dysfunction drug Viagra, and possibly other similar medications, may prompt long-term hearing loss among users.
- A myth has been circulating that the stress of having an autistic child is so great that it breaks up marriages. In fact, many parents feel that with the diagnosis of autism, comes the diagnosis of divorce. However, the latest research claims that parents of autistic children are no more likely to split up than any other parents.
- Some over the counter heartburn medications could increase the risk of hip, wrist and spine fractures in high doses or with long-term use, the Food and Drug Administration warned.
- Bacteria may play more of a role in people predisposed to obesity than previously thought, according to studies presented by the University of Maryland School of Medicine. Research suggests that an interaction between genetic factors and the composition of the bacteria that inhabit the human gut may predispose certain individuals toward obesity. In other words, little diversity in the bacteria that inhabit the gut predisposes you to obesity while more diversity of the bacteria keeps you thinner.
- Although researchers aren't ready to start a dating service, they say romantic relationships can reduce substance use in young adults, specifically marijuana and heavy drinking.
- Recently, doctors at Nationwide Childrenís Hospital have seen an increase in the incidence of skin cancer cases among children ages 5-16-years-old, and particularly among teenagers. In fact, melanoma is now responsible for approximately one out of 10 cancer cases in adolescents ages 15-19-years-old.
Article of the Week
Are You Making Yourself Sick Trying to be Healthy?
The quest for health could be a full-time occupation. Eat this, drink that or take this pill. In fact Dr. Steven Bratman coined a term for the obsession with healthy eating - orthorexia. Some people are so stressed about living healthy that they forget to live. Psychiatrists havenít made up their minds if this is an official illness. Can something good for you really be bad?
Medical studies periodically change their minds, like eat broccoli and you wonít get cancer and while itís great to eat broccoli, it doesnít seem to ward off cancer. Or severely restricting calories will help you live longer. However, contradictory studies claim that when you age, if you weigh too little as a senior, your risk for illness increases.
Here are some seemingly healthy actions which could actually turn out to be unhealthy:more
My book is NOW available in Paperback
Addicted to Stress: A Woman's 7 Step Program to Reclaim Joy and Spontaneity in Life
My book Addicted to Stress (Publisher: Jossey-Bass - An imprint of John Wiley), has just been published in Paperback and is available at bookstores everywhere.
Stress will always land on your doorstep, but you donít have to constantly open the door. Itís time to build immunity to external pressures and cultivate an inner peace which does not depend on outside influences. Shed that endless to-do list. Leave the straight lines of your personality to enjoy the surprising detours life has waiting for you.