Affirmation of the Week
The way out
the way in.
Weekly Wellness Radio Show
The Turn On your Inner Light Radio Show airs Tuesday evenings 7:00 to 7:30pm, on WGBB 1240AM in Long Island.
June 23, 2009 Show - Tosca Reno, fitness model, columnist and author of the Eat Clean Diet for Men. If you’re a man and you hate to diet, this book is for you.
June 16, 2009 Show - Michael Stein, MD, has treated addiction for over 20 years, is a professor of medicine and community health at Brown University and author of The Addict. Learn the unadorned truth.
Click archives for directory of past shows.
Health Tips of the Week
- People, suffering from gum disease and a severe form of rheumatoid arthritis, reduced their arthritic pain, number of swollen joints and the degree of morning stiffness when they cured their dental problems.
- A new study challenges the prevailing wisdom that to improve pregnancy outcomes, all women, even those who are obese, should gain weight during pregnancy. The study, the first of its kind, found that obese pregnant women who followed a well-balanced diet and gained little or no weight had maternal-fetal outcomes that were equal to or better than those who gained substantial weight.
- In a new study, young children and their adult caregivers uttered fewer vocalizations, used fewer words and engaged in fewer conversations when watching TV television.
- Informing men that a new vaccine to prevent human papillomavirus (HPV) would also help protect their female partners against developing cervical cancer from the sexually transmitted infection did not increase their interest in getting the vaccine.
- Staying together for the sake of the kids doesn’t work. Exposure to parental conflict in adolescence is associated with poorer academic achievement, increased substance use, early sex, a child out of wedlock and the breakup of that relationship.
- Orthopedic specialists are reporting cases of "cell phone elbow," in which patients damage an essential nerve in their arm by bending their elbows too tightly for too long while speaking on a cell phone. If you feel a tingling in your ring and pinkie fingers, switch hands.
- Many breast cancer patients take antioxidants beginning with the time of diagnosis and throughout the treatments. Antioxidants are available individually or in multivitamins. However, there isn't a lot of research about the effects of taking antioxidants during treatments, and some doctors believe these supplements could interfere with radiation and certain types of chemotherapy.
- Employees who often go to work despite feeling sick have higher rates of future work absences due to illness.
- Dancing and shopping encourage physical activity.
Article of the Week
How to Say No Nicely
Saying no to others can be a daunting experience. Intellectually, you tell yourself that you can say no calmly and assertively – that it means saying yes to the yourself. However, when it comes time to actually use the two-letter word, many feel anxious and stressed as a more rapid, shallower breathing takes hold. At the moment of truth instead of speaking up, you lie with a “yes, of course” and then ruminate about your inability to stand up for the self internalizing a negative opinion about being weak and a people-pleaser – turning that “no” inward instead of outward.
In stress management you learn to redirect attention to the positive. However, this does not mean that you can’t say “no” or should not accept an honest “no” from others. In order to facilitate responding with a “no” you need to more
Addicted to Stress: A Woman's 7 Step Program to Reclaim Joy and Spontaneity in Life
My recently released book Addicted to Stress (Publisher: Jossey-Bass - An imprint of John Wiley).
- Introduces and explains the habit forming pressure principle of stress addiction and how to cure it, creating awareness of what to do when a woman develops repetitive destructive behaviors.
- Provides step-by-step program for self-empowerment, self-care, healthy narcissism, and renewing humor in a woman's relationships.
- Explains the powerful, researched based relationship between food, exercise, and mood.
- Develops indispensable strategies for accepting constructive conflicts with a spouse, partner, friend or colleague to get what she wants.
- Shows how to jump start sexual intimacy.
- Teaches specific techniques for reducing and eliminating stress.
- Tells inspiring and humorous story of successful recovery from stress addiction.