Affirmation of the Week
Can you get closer to making
your job and vocation
the same thing?
Weekly Wellness Radio Show
The Turn On your Inner Light Radio Show airs Tuesday evenings 7:00 to 7:30pm, on WGBB 1240AM in Long Island.
July 13, 2010 Show - Matthew Edlund, MD, an award winning expert on rest and sleep and author of The Power of Rest. This 30-day plan can help reset your energy levels.
July 6, 2010 Show - Stephen J Betchen, PhD, a marriage and family therapist, a regular contributor to the Ladies Home Journal column, ‘Can this marriage be saved?’ and author of Magnetic Partners. Learn how to master your conflicts and heal your marriage.
Click archives for directory of past shows.
Health Tips of the Week
- According to Harvard Women’s Health Watch unequal leg length may be a risk for osteoarthritis of the knees. Perhaps shoe inserts or exercise therapy could be preventative.
- An across-the-board review of the health effects of Qigong and Tai Chi finds these practices offer benefits for the heart, immune system and overall quality of life.
- A new study shows that having depression may nearly double your risk of developing dementia later in life.
- When it comes to executing items on tomorrow’s to-do list, it’s best to think it over, then “sleep on it,” say psychologists at Washington University in St. Louis.
- People who eat a diet high in fructose, in the form of added sugar, are at increased risk of developing high blood pressure.
- Toddlers face double the risk of developing what is known as a febrile seizure within ten days of getting the MMRV vaccine. It is now recommended that parents request that their children receive the varicella, which is the vaccine for chicken pox, and the MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) vaccine separately, instead of in the combination vaccine.
- Preschool children with tooth decay may be more likely to be overweight or obese than the general population and, regardless of weight, are more likely to consume too many calories.
- Researchers found that regular coffee drinkers – those who drank more than four cups of coffee a day – had a 39 percent decreased risk of two types of head and neck cancer: oral cavity and pharynx cancers.
- Children of mothers whose blood glucose (sugar) was high during pregnancy are more likely to have low insulin sensitivity—a risk factor for type 2 diabetes—even after taking into consideration the children’s body weight, a new study shows.
- Postmenopausal women who experience bothersome hot flashes or night sweats may have an alternative treatment to estrogen. According to a new study, oral micronized progesterone relieves those symptoms.
- Vitamin D deficiency is highly prevalent in patients with Type 2 diabetes and may be associated with poor blood sugar control, according to a new study.
Article of the Week
Best 3-minute Tips to Improve Your Health
We want immediate gratification and no one wants to work hard to enjoy a reward. When it concerns good health, the mere thought of diet, exercise and meditation conjure up the word, chore, which leads to postponement, “I’ll start tomorrow.”
8 powerful keys to good health – plain, simple and fast
My book is NOW available in Paperback
Addicted to Stress: A Woman's 7 Step Program to Reclaim Joy and Spontaneity in Life
My book Addicted to Stress (Publisher: Jossey-Bass - An imprint of John Wiley), has just been published in Paperback and is available at bookstores everywhere.
Stress will always land on your doorstep, but you don’t have to constantly open the door. It’s time to build immunity to external pressures and cultivate an inner peace which does not depend on outside influences. Shed that endless to-do list. Leave the straight lines of your personality to enjoy the surprising detours life has waiting for you.