Affirmation of the Week
Look at everything
as though you are seeing it
for the first or last time.
Weekly Wellness Radio Show
The Turn On your Inner Light Radio Show airs Tuesday evenings 7:00 to 7:30pm, on WGBB 1240AM in Long Island.
Guest of the Week - Annie Bond
On Dec 20, 2005 - Annie Bond is a columnist for Body& Soul Magazine, the producer of Care2.comís Healthy Living channel and the author of Home Enlightenment. You will be inspired to detoxify your home and live more naturally.
Play it NOW via the internet. ........ All past shows are archived.
Health Tips of the Week
- Low-fat dairy foods may reduce the risk of high blood pressure. The opposite is true of fatty dairy products.
- From the Archives of Internal Medicine: Drinking 2 cups of tea daily reduces the risk of ovarian cancer. In fact, the more the better!
- New research on lowering your risk of contracting Alzheimerís Disease takes a closer look at diet. The result of the study: eat more fruits and vegetables at least 5 1/2 servings a day.
- According to a recent study from UCLA if you have back pain, it is more important to do general physical activity, such as brisk walking or swimming, than specific exercises for your back. You will feel much better. The problem with back exercises is that many people do them incorrectly or that they might not be the right ones for a specific back problem.
- If you need to get a hearing aid, here is another reason. Brandeis Universityís new study states that mild or moderate hearing loss can interfere with short term memory. Apparently, the extra effort to hear the words interferes with the brainís ability to memorize them.
Article of the Week
How to Toss Your Toxic Friends
Around this time of year we tend to lose things especially, friends and boyfriends; in other words, relationships that we have outgrown or that have turned toxic. The New Year invites us to take an inventory of what we have, what we want to keep and what we need to release. We resolve to be better and do better. How do we know what stays and what goes? We can let our bodies guide us with physical signals. If we are with a person and our emotional response is anger, disappointment, fear or generalized anxiety, we need to re-evaluate the relationship. If we feel tense, get a headache, sense a metallic taste in our mouth or feel fatigued and drained, then we need to lose that person. Unfortunately, some of our family members might fall into the energy vampire category and they are harder to lose, but can be kept at a safe distance.
How Do You Identify Toxic People?
First you have to have an awareness of self: what activities and beliefs you value, what you expect and need in a friend and those negotiable qualities you will accept. This invites you to look into the reality of your relationship, not its fantasy, nor its past history. What is your relationship all about today? Donít be afraid to tell friends, family and lovers that they have gone too far. Determine what is upsetting you, eating away at you and then express your emotions specifically. Establish a pattern of honest, self-expression to create boundaries. When you do not communicate assertively, ironically you turn inward and begin to find fault with yourself, feeling guilty about what you should have said. You lose your power. more
Frank Mikulka's Fitness Tip Of The WeekHow to Develop Your Triceps
Iíve been lifting weights for about 4 months now and am really happy with my progress and the changes in my body from soft to firmer. However, the back of my arms are not responding. Can you help? (Carla P, Roslyn, NY)Answer