The Turn On Your Inner Light Course at NYU
I will be teaching a 6-session intensive course in stress-management at New York University beginning this February 6, 2007. Take charge of your mind and body.
For a class description and to register
Affirmation of the Week
We are so action-oriented.
Sometimes the smartest thing to do
Weekly Wellness Radio Show
The Turn On your Inner Light Radio Show airs Tuesday evenings 7:00 to 7:30pm, on WGBB 1240AM in Long Island.
Guest of the Week - Steven and Joy Gurgevich
Jan 09, 2007 Show - Steven and Joy Gurgevich, Dr. Steven Gurgevich is the Director of the Mind/Body Clinic in Dr. Andrew Weilís program at the University of Arizona College of Medicine and Joy is a behavioral nutritionist. They are authors of the Self-Hypnosis Diet.
Last week's guest:
Jan 02, 2007 Show - L.K. Mickelson, a professional speaker on love and relationships and author of The Mystique of Love Unveiled. Learn how to fall in love and stay in love.
Click archives for directory of past shows.
Health Tips of the Week
- According to the latest research from the Harvard Health Menís Watch the mineral chromium is good for your health, managing heart disease, cholesterol and diabetes. You donít need to take supplements because chromium is readily available in foods like: Whole grains, nuts, broccoli and green beans.
- People can get diarrhea-causing salmonella bacteria from pet rodents, like mice, rats and hamsters according to The New England Journal of Medicine. Children are particularly susceptible. Make sure you wash your hands thoroughly when handling pet rodents and their cages. And donít let your children kiss these pets!
- You donít need anti-bacterial soap. Plain old soap and water is still a good way to clean your hands, reports the January 2007 issue of the Harvard Health Letter. Make sure to dry them because wet hands spread germs.
- It's not the calories you eat -- it's the calories you don't burn off that increase cancer risk, studies of mice suggest. Stored fat cells emit the chemical signal leptin which triggers certain cancers. Exercise might just be the answer!
- Veggie chips are not all equal and some are loaded with calories, fat and salt. The only vegetable in the chip is the dusting of vegetable powder they receive. To get more nutrients and fiber along with the joy of crunching, Consumer Health Reports recommends Terra chips.
- Mind/body therapies like hypnosis and guided imagery can reduce the amount of anesthesia during surgery, reduce pain after surgery and speed recovery.
We all know the script well: initial passion, enthusiastically constructing a life together, routine realities and then emotional distance. She/he has cultivated the separate self, a career, including separate friendships Ė in other words, two ships that pass in the day and have established a safe harbor for the night. Often dinner is shared; trips are taken together; money is in a joint account and the children are in tact.
Couples in a non-divorce are reluctant to rock the boat with an expensive actual divorce which empties the coffers and robs one of time. Divorce can turn civilized people into pillagers, especially when attorneys are playing for high stakes and billable hours drag into months, even years. Could non-divorce be a trend in 2007? Many couples see the non-divorce as a way to stay married, keep up social appearances and maintain community status; in other words, from a distance the ideal couple.
Itís like living with your roommate as your spouse is simply not the object of your desire.
Frank Mikulka's Fitness Tip Of The Week
Whatís a Good Plan for Sustained Fitness?
Itís the New Year and like many people Iíve decided to take better care of myself and join a gym. What should be my basic game plan for a sustainable success? (Joan, Amityville)Answer