Valentine's Day Workshop
I will be teaching a special Valentine's Day workshop Counting on Yourself to be Loved at Pathways Women's Health in Manhasset, Long Island on February 14, 2008 at 7:30PM.
For detailed information and registration information please visit Pathways Women's Health Website or call (516) 365-2784 for a Brochure and Registration Form.
Affirmation of the Week
If you put a small value on yourself,
the world will not raise your price.
Weekly Wellness Radio Show
The Turn On your Inner Light Radio Show airs Tuesday evenings 7:00 to 7:30pm, on WGBB 1240AM in Long Island.
Guest of the Week - Judith S. Beck, PhD
This week's show:
Jan 15, 2008 Show -Judith S. Beck, PhD, Director of the Beck Institute for Cognitive Therapy and Research, professor of psychology at the University of Pennsylvania and author of the Beck Diet Solution: Weight Loss Workbook. Learn life-changing skills to lose weight and accomplish other challenges.
Jan 08, 2008 Show - John E. Welshons, motivational speaker, meditation teacher and author of When Prayers Arenít Answered. Maybe the problem is not with God, but what you are asking for.
Click archives for directory of past shows.
Health Tips of the Week
- Removal of mercury from child vaccines fails to halt the increase in autism.
- Exclusive breastfeeding for at least four months may help prevent asthma, eczema, and food allergies in high-risk babies, but there is little evidence that delaying the introduction of specific foods makes a difference according to the American Pediatric Association.
- Adults with hypertension (high blood pressure) may be more likely to have cardiovascular problems if they also have vitamin D deficiency.
- Anxious men were 30% to 40% more likely than calmer men to have a heart attack during the 12-year study, regardless of other physical or personality risk factors
- A new study suggests that children who typically receive an operation to insert ear tubes because of ear infections or fluid in the ear may not need it.
- Blacks and Hispanics who go to hospital emergency departments in pain are significantly less likely than whites to get pain-relieving opioid drugs.
- A new scientific review of the most current research shows the link between eating oatmeal and cholesterol reduction to be stronger than when the FDA initially approved the health claim's appearance on food labels in 1997.
Article of the Week
Drop Weight by Lifting Your Spirit
Being overweight and feeling depressed go hand in hand. In fact, they fuel one another according to a new study involving women ages 40-60 by Gregory Simon, MD (General Hospital Psychiatry). And donít think that overweight women are clueless about the health benefits of a balanced meal plan and exercise. They know what to do, but according to Dr. Simon they are fatalistic Ė hopeless and helpless. At the heart of the matter is the blow to self-esteem as overweight women are stigmatized by others, but even worse, we do it to ourselves. Men donít fall into the same negative loop. They handle their weight gain better: ďMore of me to love.Ē But women, thatís a different story which brings me to the subject of my story Ė boost your self-esteem to boost your mood to jumpstart weight loss. Gain more spirit and lose your physical weight.
When you are weighed down with a negative self-image, how can you metabolize your experiences and interactions with others? Your shoulders are drooped, your eyes are downcast and you are tired of carrying that heavy burden of perfectionism and unrealistic expectations. When you reach out for junk food, you have no energy left to challenge your irrational thoughts of worthlessness.
How do you boost your self-confidence when you are feeling unattractive, heavier or older? How do men accept themselves physically, heavier or older? Itís about knowing and believing that you have a lot going for you Ė intelligence, wit, creativity, vitality and choices to make. Take back your power!
To break the vicious cycle more