Affirmation of the Week
You have the right to remain silent
and keep your thoughts to yourself!
Weekly Wellness Radio Show
The Turn On your Inner Light Radio Show airs Tuesday evenings 7:00 to 7:30pm, on WGBB 1240AM in Long Island.
Guest of the Week - John Izzo, PhD
This week's show:
Feb 26, 2008 Show -John Izzo, PhD, host of the public television series and author of The Five Secrets You Must Discover Before You Die. Here’s your path to happiness from over 200 happy people. www.DrjohnIzzo.com
Feb 19, 2008 Show - Tina Tessina, PhD., is a psychotherapist and author of Money, Sex and Kids. It’s time to stop fighting about the three things that can ruin your marriage.
Click archives for directory of past shows.
Health Tips of the Week
- Eating berries may boost heart health. Berries contain particularly high levels of antioxidants known as polyphenols. Other polyphenol-rich foods include chocolate, tea and red wine, which also have been linked to lower heart disease risk.
- A woman’s daily stress can reduce her ability to fight off a common sexually transmitted disease and increase her risk of developing cervical cancer.
- The popular supplement glucosamine, used by many arthritis sufferers, was found to be no better than placebo pills for relieving the pain of hip osteoarthritis increasing the ability to do everyday activities, according to a new study from the Netherlands.
- Listening to their favorite music helps stroke patients recover mental function and makes them less depressed and confused according to Finnish researchers.
- Firstborn children spend about 3,000 more hours of quality time with their parents during childhood than the next-oldest child. The findings may help explain why firstborn children tend to have higher IQs, perform better in school, and earn more money as adults, according to Brigham Young University.
- Whole grains are linked to weight loss. While everyone in a study ate lean protein, fruits and vegetables, weight loss in the abdominal region was significantly greater in the group who ate whole grains.
- Strokes have tripled in recent years among middle-aged women in the U.S., an alarming trend doctors attribute to the obesity epidemic, particularly belly fat.
- It appears that memory loss and thinking problems are becoming less common among older Americans. A new nationally representative study shows a downward trend in the rate of cognitive impairment among people aged 70 and older. Let’s keep up the good work!
Article of the Week
How to Get More Will Power
“I wish I had your will power,” people often tell me when they see me at the gym or read my writing. “So, what’s the problem?” I ask. They list a multitude of excuses for why they lack motivation. “I’m lazy,” “I put things off,” “I have adult ADD,” “I’m too busy,” “I’ll do it when I’m on vacation and not stressed,” or “I’ll start after vacation.” I wish I were as inventive as some of the excuses I have heard. All these responses started me thinking. What is will power anyway? Apparently, it is the vast wasteland between I will and I won’t.
There is great truth to the phrase the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak. People always associate will power with the mind, the powerful mind. This is the heart of the problem because will power is driven from both the mind and the body. When the body is stressed, positive, proactive thinking is undermined. You feel tired, hungry, anxious, tense, achy or sad. How can you have will power at this time? However, you will find that when you eat nutritious food and rest a bit, your perception changes and you are willing and able to take a sustainable action toward your goal. Once your body feels stronger and you are not emotionally depleted, you are in a better frame of mind to stay focused and in charge of what you want to accomplish.
While a sound body will support a sound mind, and is an important first step, you need to strengthen your spirit to seal the deal. The next step is to create resonance. Whatever you desire to achieve whether it is weight loss, quitting smoking, exercising, pursuing a higher degree or dating again, you need to reflect if what you wish is in harmony with your inner self. more