|The Perfect Mother's Day Gift|
A Book for Caregivers (All Mothers are Caregivers) who are stressed and need advice on
- How to take care of themselves
- Finding the balance between giving and receiving.
Changing Habits: The Caregivers' Total Workout
Affirmation of the Week
You have a choice:
Let the weeds grow
or turn over the earth
and plant some seeds.
Weekly Wellness Radio Show
The Turn On your Inner Light Radio Show airs Tuesday evenings 7:00 to 7:30pm, on WGBB 1240AM in Long Island.
Guest of the Week - Larry Ackerman
On May 09, 2006 - Our guest expert is Larry Ackerman, a leading authority on organizational and personal identity and author of The Identity Code. Learn the secret to uncovering who you are and what you are meant to be.
Click to hear it now. Click archives for directory of past shows.
Health Tips of the Week
- From the Annals of Internal Medicine: Patient satisfaction is not a measure of quality care. Patient satisfaction usually correlates with the doctor being respectful and listening to the patient. However, treatment and disease management need to be evaluated as well.
- More than 39,000 adolescents have Type 2 Diabetes; almost 3 million have impaired glucose fasting levels and many more cases that have not been diagnosed. Type 2 Diabetes used to be an adult disease, but is quickly becoming a childrenís problem in this country. A sugary diet and lack of exercise is spreading the disease to children.
- As a response, school vending machines are about to lose their high-calorie sodas. Elementary schools vending machines will carry low-fat milk, unsweetened juices and water. High schools will be allowed to carry diet-sodas.
- From Childrenís Hospital in Boston new research points out that children taking ADHD medication are shorter and thinner than they are supposed to be.
- Sleeping pills like Ambien or Lunesta are not the best choice for seniors because daytime side effects are drowsiness, confusion and imbalance. The effects of the pill linger in an older population who are more sensitive to side effects. Donít worry about sleeping less. We need less sleep as we age; how about some warm milk?
- Colonoscopies have just become easier. You can take pills like OsmoPrep instead of drinking a gallon of horrible liquid. However, pills can cause severe dehydration and kidney damage. Patients need to drink a lot of clear fluids to replenish the body.
Article of the Week
How to Cope With the Stress of Motherís Day
Motherís Day is almost here, heralded by idyllic pictures of mothers and daughters in magazines and TV commercials advertising jewelry, flowers and gifts fit for a female deity. However, some of us feel anxious, disappointed and even stressed about the celebration. Perhaps, we donít get along with our mothers, mothers-in-law or even our own children. Motherís Day can be a pink rose with plenty of thorns because we donít measure up to a Hallmark greeting card. Coincidentally, for gardeners Motherís Day signals planting time and so, for many of us it is time to dig up the dirt, turn it over and plant some new seeds.
How to prepare for the Big Day: The best weapon mothers and mothers-in-law have is guilt. They know how to use the inflection in their voices to convey just the right words to make us feel guilty. Making up our minds not to feel guilty is difficult if not impossible. However, desensitizing ourselves to the guilt will help. Hereís an exercise: more
Frank Mikulka's Fitness Tip Of The WeekWhen Young Female Athletes Get Too Lean
I totally support my daughter and her love for school athletics. However, as a mother, I am concerned about her obsession with weight loss. How can I support her goals, yet advise her about her unhealthy eating habits without making things worse?Answer