Affirmation of the Week
When we remember who we are
it is easier to express love.
Weekly Wellness Radio Show
The Turn On your Inner Light Radio Show airs Tuesday evenings 7:00 to 7:30pm, on WGBB 1240AM in Long Island.
Guest of the Week - Barbara Biziou
On May 16, 2006 - Our guest expert is Barbara Biziou, author of the Joy of Ritual, a wellness coach and ritual expert. Learn how to flex your spiritual muscles. www.Joyofritual.com
Click to hear it now. Click archives for directory of past shows.
Health Tips of the Week
- Surgeons get low marks for team work. Perhaps thatís why mistakes like leaving the sponge inside the patient or operating on the wrong body part occur.
- The FDA has rejected claims that green tea reduces risk factors for cardiovascular disease or cancer.
- Children, especially girls, who live near busy roads are more likely to have asthmatic symptoms. Apparently the most susceptible are children under the age of two. We need to reevaluate playground locations and schools.
- Men are more vulnerable to strokes. They may be more likely to die or develop serious complications from a stroke than women. A new study shows that that men tend to have strokes at an earlier age than women and that they face a higher risk of developing pneumonia as a complication of a stroke.
- Are you doing more walking in sandals and other fashionable springtime shoes? You might be getting some painful blisters. Rub some Vaseline on your foot to cushion the friction until you transition from boots to sandals. Prevention is always easier than a cure.
- People with autism donít daydream. Researchers say the brain regions normally active while resting or daydreaming process emotional and social issues. The lack of this activity in the brains of people with autism explains some of the antisocial behavior and emotional problems they experience.
Stress Management Tip of the Week
Refresh Your Skin Inside Out
Itís time to refresh your skin and glow. Springtime teems with fresh new life; shed your old skin and its dead cells to reveal a smoother, softer version. The good news: You donít need an expensive cream or a gift certificate for a fancy spa facial. All you need is in your kitchen, a bowl of fruit. Oh, you can play some New Age music for atmosphere.
Fruits contain Alpha hydroxy acids. The recipe for your face: Squeeze a little lemon or orange into a glass, dip your fingers and dab on your face; be careful near the eye area. Leave the fruit juice on your skin for abut 10 minutes and then rinse off. Donít have any citrus fruits? Cut a strawberry, kiwi, or grape and rub gently on your face. Wait a few minutes and then rinse off. Look in the mirror and see for yourself.
Note: If you are going to the beach or plan on a sunny picnic or tennis game, eat the fruit instead of dabbing it on your face. Alpha hydroxy acids will make your skin sun sensitive. Remember that good skin needs a healthy diet of fruits, vegetables and water inside out.
Frank Mikulka's Fitness Tip Of The WeekItís Macho to be Flexible
I hear so much about why I should hold flexibility training in the same class as cardio and resistance training. What benefits do I get from this flexibility thing? (Joey Z, Smithtown)Answer