Affirmation of the Week
We always fret that
our children donít listen to us.
Maybe we should worry that
they are always watching us.
Weekly Wellness Radio Show
The Turn On your Inner Light Radio Show airs Tuesday evenings 7:00 to 7:30pm, on WGBB 1240AM in Long Island.
Guest of the Week - Dr. Frances Praver Cohen
On May 30, 2006 - Our guest expert is Dr. Frances Praver Cohen, a clinical psychologist and author of Daring Wives. Get a front row seat in the therapy room and learn why women cheat.
Click to hear it now. Click archives for directory of past shows.
Health Tips of the Week
- Surprising news: Studies show that even heavy marijuana users have no increased risk of lung cancer. While there is a clear risk for cigarette smokers, there is no such risk for marijuana.
- Sun screens might give you a false sense of security: they do not block the sun as they are only screens; they do wash off and do not protect you for long against wrinkle causing rays. For example an SPF of 30 means you are safe for about 30 minutes. And there is no such thing as instant protection because they need about an hour to sink into the skin.
- Hernia surgery is often unnecessary in men. The new prescription is watchful waiting at least if the symptoms are mild or nonexistent.
- The verdict on chromium supplements: They donít help you lose weight or build muscle. There is no evidence to support that claim.
- Aloe gel from the leaf of a potted plant can help speed healing of minor abrasions, burns, sores, psoriasis and frostbite. Donít buy a commercial preparation as the cream might contain very little Aloe Ė just break off a leaf and squeeze out the gel and apply.
- Where the arteries are concerned, movement means improvement. Exercisers actually grow more blood vessels expanding their network of capillaries and enzyme levels get a boost from muscle cells creating more oxygen rich blood.
Try to hold family meetings on a regular basis. Your children need a voice and a chance to express their views on everything: Chores, meals, school and vacation, just to name a few issues. This doesnít mean that you wonít say no to them occasionally, but they need to express their true feelings and negotiate with you. This will bolster their self-esteem, teach them how to communicate their needs and generate strong familial ties.
Because they have been accustomed to family meetings throughout the years, when you are old and infirm, they will host a family meeting to ask you those difficult questions which adult children feel uncomfortable about discussing with their parents. For them it will be natural and nurturing, facilitating the whole process.
Frank Mikulka's Fitness Tip Of The Week
Experiencing Lower Back Pain After a Workout?
I love working out, but I always experience lower back pain afterwards and frankly, Iíve cut back my training. What could I be doing wrong? (Fred, Levittown).Answer