Affirmation of the Week
Do you appreciate what you have today?
Remember what you now have,
you once hoped for.
Weekly Wellness Radio Show
The Turn On your Inner Light Radio Show airs Tuesday evenings 7:00 to 7:30pm, on WGBB 1240AM in Long Island.
Guest of the Week - Dr. Debra Mandel
On June 06, 2006 - Our guest expert is Dr. Debra Mandel, a clinical psychologist and author of Your Boss Is Not Your Mother. Learn why you might be chronically unhappy at work.
Click to hear it now. Click archives for directory of past shows.
Health Tips of the Week
- Drinking 1 to 3 cups of coffee a day protected post menopausal women from heart disease and other inflammatory diseases, but not cancer.
- Eating half a grapefruit with your meals can help you lose weight. Grapefruit lowers insulin levels and fights high cholesterol and prostate cancer.
- New research points out the anti-cancer effects of exercise which increases a protein that blocks cell growth and induces cell death, especially those cells involved in creating new blood vessels that tumors need to grow.
- A Duke University study points out that poison ivy will become hardier and more poisonous. So there will be more poison ivy around in the future along with more itching and scratching.
- Caregivers who are overwhelmed, depressed or young tend to worsen the symptoms of the people they take care of, particularly dementia patients.
- Summertime is replete with flowers and bees. Should you get stung you can scrape away a stinger, grab or pull it. Itís not the method that makes the difference, but the speed. 90% of the venom is released in 20 seconds.
- According to Dr. Alan Hirsch the smell of sugary foods can make you feel sexy. Black licorice seems to stimulate both men and women.
Seasonal allergies are particularly virulent this year. An allergic reaction, an autoimmune response, is actually the self against the self. After awhile the relief experienced from medication wears off because the body has adapted and will require an even stronger dosage or different drug.
To alleviate the symptoms and feel more like your natural self, you need to find your balance. This means reducing stress levels, exercising regularly and eating more fruits and vegetables for their vitamins and antioxidants. No supplement can duplicate nutrient dense foods. Do you want to be your own worst enemy? Find your balance and so strengthen your immune system. Donít let things get to you, making you sick and tired.
Frank Mikulka's Fitness Tip Of The Week
How to Improve Muscle Endurance
Iím thinking about doing a small Triathelon. I was told I needed muscle endurance. What is it and how do I develop it? (James, Hempstead).Answer