Affirmation of the Week
Donít believe in miracles;
depend on them
Weekly Wellness Radio Show
The Turn On your Inner Light Radio Show airs Tuesday evenings 7:00 to 7:30pm, on WGBB 1240AM in Long Island.
Guest of the Week - Marc Allen
On July 11, 2006 - Our guest expert is Marc Allen, Co-founder of the New World Library Publishing House and author of the Type Z Guide to Success. Let laziness work for you! www.successwithease.net
Click to hear it now. Click archives for directory of past shows.
Health Tips of the Week
- Men, ages 45 and up, should be checked for low testosterone levels if they suffer from diabetes, obesity and high blood pressure. Low testosterone causes fatigue, weakened bones, loss of body and facial hair and sexual impairment.
- Traditional Mediterranean diets consisting of olive oil and nuts are superior to low fat diets when it concerns the heart and cardiovascular system.
- Scientists have found that marinating meats may help reduce unhealthy cholesterol compounds that form during cooking. Researchers in Taiwan found that marinades made with soy sauce or sugar inhibited the formation of cholesterol oxidation products implicated in causing cancer and heart disease.
- Making regular visits to the dentist not only protects the teeth, it may also protect the carotid arteries - the main blood vessels leading to the brain. Gum disease could contribute to clogged carotids and an increased risk of stroke.
- Toxic levels of lead have been found in some Ayurvedic Medicines which could cause high blood pressure, abdominal cramping and seizures in adults and slow growth and impaired IQ in children.
- According to the CDC wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water after handling pet treats made with meat or fish. People at risk for salmonella infection are young children, seniors and those with a weakened immune system.
- From UCLA a glass of Pomegranate juice a day can keep prostate cancer from reoccurring.
As we get older, not only do we have a harder time making new friends, but we lose a lot of our nearest and dearest along the way. We tend to grow a bit more suspicious and become disappointed easily. In short, we expect more from our long time friends. And since they know us better than anyone why shouldnít we? Except that we might also consider that our friends:
Many times we are harshly judgmental of our friends because we need them to validate us.More
- Are not our clones.
- Are not mind readers. We need to ask for what we need as well as not second- guess what our friend is thinking.
- Need reciprocity and balance in the relationship. One side canít always be giving and the other always receiving.
- Might be experiencing their own quiet lives of desperation and not emotionally receptive to our personal issues.
- Are simply being human when they are jealous of us
Frank Mikulka's Fitness Tip Of The Week
Donít Let Shin Splints Slow You Down
Iíve started jogging to burn more calories in my quest to lose weight; sometimes I jog outside or on a treadmill. Lately I have been experiencing pain in my lower leg around my shins. What is this and how do I prevent it? (Ellen, East Meadow) Answer