Affirmation of the Week
We may pass contentment
looking for victory.
Weekly Wellness Radio Show
The Turn On your Inner Light Radio Show airs Tuesday evenings 7:00 to 7:30pm, on WGBB 1240AM in Long Island.
Guest of the Week - Dr. Marisa Weiss
On August 8, 2006 - Our guest expert is Dr. Marisa Weiss, a breast cancer oncologist, president of www.breastcancer.org
and author of Living Beyond Breast Cancer. Learn how to become an active participant in your care and advocate for those you love.
Click to hear it now. Click archives for directory of past shows.
Health Tips of the Week
- Apples and apple juice may be among the best foods that baby boomers and senior citizens could add to their diet, according to new research that demonstrates how apple products can help boost brain function similar to medication that boosts acetylcholine.
- Too often we worry about lowering our bad cholesterol. The Mayo Clinic offers suggestions to increase our good, HDL cholesterol: Stop smoking. You can increase your HDL by up to 20 percent when you quit. Lose excess weight. Exercise regularly. Eat a diet that’s low in saturated fat. Drink alcohol in moderation.
- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration just approved the marketing of a sunscreen that claims to block cancer-causing sunrays dimericine; for those who forget to apply the new product, eventually it may be possible to reverse cellular skin damage caused by the sun with a “morning after” crème that can repair sun-damaged skin.
- When a child needs to be treated with IVs, numbing the skin in advance can help ease or eliminate the pain of needle insertion, making the procedure easier for the child, parents and medical staff. A new review suggests that one numbing medicine does the job more quickly and thoroughly than another in common use. Amethocaine wins over EMLA which takes longer to be effective. As we all know, time is of the essence in the ER.
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center recently began offering a new treatment for wet age-related macular degeneration that may improve, and in some cases restore, patients’ vision. Lucentis was approved by the FDA last month. The drug is administered by injection directly into the eyeball of patients. The treatment is not cheap, about $2,000 per injection with a total of four; however, so far so good.
- Smaller bowls and smaller utensils are the keys to a successful diet. Go ahead finish what’s on your plate.
- If you are 65 and older, a drink or two a day whether it is wine, beer or liquor can protect you from heart failure or dying from cardiovascular disease. And you will certainly be happier!
Doctors, both Western and Eastern, know that the secret to healing rests with you and so the responsibility! Whether you have a headache, backache or suffer from a vague sadness, you can restore the balance. Stress and anger will secretly rob you of your vitality and health, chipping away at the cellular level where you don’t notice the internal damage until much later. To heal your body and emotions the best medicine is relaxation which will restore the balance. Here’s the recipe:More
Frank Mikulka's Fitness Tip Of The Week
How to Deal with an Overweight Teenager
My thirteen year old daughter fits the profile of the overweight child. She sits all day watching TV, playing on computer and eating fatty, sugary foods. She hates vegetables. I am not just concerned about her appearance, but I am also concerned about her cholesterol levels and future health. Help! (Melanie, Huntington) Answer