Affirmation of the Week
Don’t fall in love.
Walk into it steadfastly
and in balance.
Weekly Wellness Radio Show
Mid Island Collision
50 Years - "We Care"
The Turn On your Inner Light Radio Show airs Tuesday evenings 7:00 to 7:30pm, on WGBB 1240AM in Long Island.
Guest of the Week - Dr. Zhi Gang Sha
Oct 10, 2006 Show - Dr. Zhi Gang Sha, a Western MD who practices Chinese Medicine and the author of Soul, Mind Body Medicine. He has been featured on PBS. Learn how to heal yourself.
Last week's guest:
Oct 03, 2006 Show - Greg Poirier, a sommelier and wine coach who has served as a consultant for the Hyatt Hotels and Euro Disney. Wine has health benefits that are both heart and head smart. Here are the latest wine trends.
Click archives for directory of past shows.
Health Tips of the Week
- It’s true: Women’s skin ages faster than men.
- Approximately one-third of boys and girls ages 12 to 19 in the United States do not meet standards for physical fitness, according to a report in the October issue of Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine. This lack of fitness carries over into the adult years.
- Osteoarthritis, the degenerative inflammatory bone disease, may be a sign of faster “biological ageing,” according to the journal, Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases. Both the ageing process and osteoarthritis share biological factors in common, including oxidative stress and low level chronic inflammation
- Having sex once to twice a week increases immunoglobulin A levels to boost your immune system. However, too much of a good thing your resistance declines.
- Middle school students who watch TV or play video games during the week do worse in school than those who don't. Weekend viewing and playing videogames doesn't affect school performance as much and is something parents can concede.
- Breast feeding has little or no effect on a child’s intelligence according to the British Medical Journal.
- UCLA/VA researchers found that curcumin – a chemical found in curry and tumeric – may help the immune system clear the brain of amyloid beta plaques found in Alzheimer’s disease. These early laboratory findings may lead to a new approach in treating Alzheimer’s disease by enhancing the natural function of the immune system using curcumin, known for its anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties
I am a 47 year old single woman who has been divorced for 6 years and living on my own. Prior to my marriage I always dated and had serious relationships. I was engaged a few times but always broke it off. The Runaway Bride movie with Julia Roberts would describe me. I finally got married at 35 but it only lasted 5 years. My husband was a heavy drinker so our life together wasn't very happy or healthy. Currently, I have been involved with a guy for about a year. My concern is that I don't trust men at all. I think they all tell lies, look at other women and I always think they are up to something sneaky. Men seem to bring me down rather than make me feel good about myself. My looks are above average and I take care of myself. I want to be in a monogamous relationship and hopefully eventually marry again, but wonder how I can get over my negative feelings about men. Can you help?(Runaway Bride)
Dear Runaway Bride,
Relationships are not about trusting men. The whole issue is about trusting yourself! Because your marriage ended in divorce, this confirmed your waffling about making a commitment. The problem with making a choice is our longing to make the perfect choice, the ideal choice. We are emotionally programmed to look for the ideal mate, get married and raise ideal children in the ideal setting. However,more
If you would like to sound off on this issue or ask a question about an issue in your life please e-mail Debbie Mandel
Frank Mikulka's Fitness Tip Of The Week
Can I hold on to the Side rails of the Exercise Machine?
When I began to exercise, I started on a stair-stepper, which I don’t do anymore because I found it to be hard on my knees. I’ve switched to a treadmill and alternate it with an elliptical machine. I was told not to hold to the side rails. Does it matter? (Linda, Freeport) Answer