The number one factor which your happiness depends on is your opting to stay relevant throughout the decades. Relevance covers all aspects of daily living: Work, romance, friends and family. The bleak alternative will result in dismissal, a lack of respect and worst of all, invisibility.
If you are over age 50, in order to achieve relevance you need to remain connected and attune to pop culture. The glory of the good old days are a great reminder of what you once did successfully, so now it’s time to tap into that same energy to evolve and update your mindset and skills with changing times and trends. If you are in a marriage, this might sound counterintuitive, but consider cultivating an independent life and alone time to bring new experiences and stimulating thoughts to share in your relationship. If you are a retired grandparent, engage in creative hobbies and be ready to learn from your grandkids. Above all, no one wants to hear about your aches, pains and complaints or criticism. Overall, whether young or old, consider spreading good news and speaking uplifting comments to inspire others who will feel happy and relaxed in your presence. Then you will serve as the go-to person.
Here are 9 categories where you can find relevance:
- Stay positive - Positive people are always relevant as others need a lift in a stressful world and good moods are contagious, so your reach expands.
- Be spiritual – Being kind and compassionate makes you invaluable as a trusted adviser.
- Stay curious – Curiosity is a trigger for lifelong learning and self-growth. Your interest shows that you are alive and alert.
- Be authentic – Being your uniquely quirky, different or fun self is what attracts others to you. Releasing your best self will ensure a support system.
- Exercise – Physical empowerment transfers to personal empowerment. Your energy, endurance, balance and strength keep you as a force to be reckoned with and will reduce your stress levels to make you even more positive.
- Get creative – Even when you have retired, creativity ignites your spark and passion. It is timeless.
- Get involved in music or theatre – Participating in theatrical productions, playing an instrument or serving as a critic of music, art and drama, enhances your social interactions. What did you really see in that painting or movie? Share it.
- Become a health guru – Get educated in matters of well-being. People are looking for a natural healer. Learn about foods which are curative, exercises which de-stress and other daily strategies for good health. Implement them yourself and let others know the results.
- Do Volunteer work for the betterment of society and see yourself benevolently reflected in other people’s eyes.
For more information on managing your stress and reclaiming your life read my book, Addicted to Stress: A Woman's 7 Step Program to Reclaim Joy and Spontaneity in Life
. To listen to archived radio shows with guest experts visit Turn On Your Inner Light Radio Show